- In the United States, obesity affects men more than women.
- You want to lose the extra pounds because good health and great sex are important to you.
- Men should adapt their diet and exercise to their specific needs.
- Take control of your health with our weight loss tips for men.
- Add Plenity weight loss capsules to your nutrition and fitness plan for best results.
Are you tired of people commenting on your “beer belly” or “dad bod”? Tired because the extra weight is stopping you from doing things you love? Time to take charge of your health! Get started today with our 11 weight loss tips for men.
Weight Loss for Men
Let’s face the facts. You’re not Daniel Craig. You’re not Idris Elba either (or any other muscular actor for that matter). You look OK, like a normal guy, but you’ve gained some pounds — maybe more than you’d like to admit.
You’re probably not the only overweight guy in the neighborhood. Obesity is a huge problem in the United States, and it affects men more than women.
You’re a clever guy, so you know that losing weight is about more than aesthetics. Here’s why you should do something about it:
- You’re the captain of your own body. You love your life and want to stay in good health. You don’t need the extra problems, caused by hypertension or diabetes, that are linked to obesity.
- You’ll gain control over your life. A modern “real man” doesn’t carry a sword. He doesn’t run around the bushes hunting tigers, either. He’s someone who takes responsibility for himself and the wellbeing of his loved ones. And he’s not afraid of challenges, because he knows the stakes are high.
- You’ll have better sex. First, obesity means a higher risk of erectile dysfunction, and that can definitely spoil the fun. When you weigh less, you’ll also have more vigor and energy to last longer and satisfy your honey.
- You’ll feel more masculine. Let’s be honest here. We’re all a little vain and want to feel sexy and desirable. While you can look hot at any size, if you get rid of that extra body fat, you will be able to build and show off those muscles.
Weight Loss Tips for Men
Whether you believe that men are from Mars and women are from Venus, the truth is we gain and lose weight differently. Our bodies are different and often we use distinct problem-solving strategies.
Here are our top 11 weight loss tips for men.
1. Drink Water Before You Eat
When you were a kid, did they tell you not to drink when you ate? But did they say anything about drinking before a meal? Apparently, drinking two cups of water before eating makes you fuller, and you will eat less.
2. Protein Is Not Just for Bodybuilders
If you can’t live without chicken dinners, now you’re officially allowed to indulge. According to an analysis by Harvard Chan School of Public Health on over 120,000 people, a diet rich in healthy sources of protein contributed to relative weight loss over the years.
Foods with lots of healthy protein include:
- Chicken (without skin)
- Low-fat cheese
- Peanut butter
Research also suggests that men who consume lots of healthy protein are better able to maintain a healthy weight.
3. Go Vegetarian(ish)
Can’t imagine life without your favorite medium-rare steak? While switching to a vegetarian diet is good for you and the environment, there are other options too, such as cutting down meat consumption to two to three times a week. Also consider buying organic, grass-fed products. You’ll know they’re worth the extra cost when you taste them.
On the remaining days of the week, enjoy fish, seafood, and meat replacements. Time to get creative in the kitchen!
4. Order Wisely
Eating out and take-aways are not your friends when you’re on a diet. There are so many temptations! Think, “Would you like to supersize your order?” and “Can I tempt you with dessert today?”
If you must have that burger, skip the side of fries and get a salad instead. And don’t go to a restaurant too hungry. Grab a light snack beforehand and you’ll think more clearly when ordering dinner. Choose healthy options and skip the bread basket while you wait.
5. Get a Water Carbonator
Do you know how many calories are in a can of your favorite Dr. Pepper? 150 — in one can! And 40 grams of sugar! Dietary Guidelines for Americans say that added sugars should be no more than 10 percent of all calories you eat per day. With two cans of soda, you’re already way over that limit.
There’s an easy way to cheat yourself a little and save those precious calories. Get a water carbonator, add gas to tap water, throw in a slice of lemon (and a drop of low-carb sweetener if you like), and you’re good to go. It’s fizzy, it’s tasty, and has only a few calories and little sugar inside. Win-win.
6. If You Drink, Choose the Right Booze
There’s a reason they call it a “beer belly.” As much as you love your craft IPAs (or even a plain light beer), experiment with lower-calorie alcohol options.
Go to a wine tasting course and impress your date with connoisseur knowledge. Or go old school and order a low-carb drink, like whiskey on the rocks. Just don’t overdo it! Booze is not your friend if you want to stay lean and healthy.
7. Take Your Time
Always in a hurry, grabbing a bite for lunch at your desk? If you want to lose some pounds, switch to conscious eating. Take your time at each meal, at least 20 minutes. This is how long it takes your brain to register that you have satisfied your hunger. Time to become a food Zen master!
8. Burn, Baby, Burn
Want to build muscles and burn fat at the same time? Time to go back to ultimate male fitness and hit your local gym. Recent research shows that weight training helps you lose as much fat as cardio or running. And it’s a great opportunity to hang out with your buddies.
9. Get Up and Get to Work
Stuck in a job that keeps you tied to your chair all day? To improve your health and burn some calories at the office, ask for a standing desk upgrade (or invest in one if you work from home).
Standing uses more energy than sitting down. Add to that a balance pillow or a stepper, and you’ll have a mini workout at your desk. Now that’s multitasking!
10. Sleep and Slim Down
Losing weight is all about exercise, isn’t it? Not exactly; it turns out that rest is also important. Getting enough sleep every night helps you maintain a healthy weight. Scientists are still trying to understand why, but they suspect that not getting enough rest can increase hunger.
11. Try the Plenity Weight Loss Device
You’re a man and you like to handle things on your own. You bravely face challenges and move forward to achieve your goals. But sometimes, we all need a little support — and losing weight is hard.
If you’ve tried every diet plan you can think of with limited success, it’s time to try something new. Consider the Plenity weight loss device.
Plenity is an FDA-cleared capsule that you swallow like a pill. Plenity releases a natural gel-like substance into your stomach, which creates a feeling of fullness so you can eat less and feel satisfied. Learn more about this safe and effective solution here and take control of your weight for good.
Anka Grzywacz is a sexologist, reproductive health expert and Certified Sex Coach™. In her online practice she helps busy women and couples solve their intimate problems.