Erectile dysfunction is a common problem among men. That means that men frequently turn to prescription erectile dysfunction treatments. Viagra is currently one of the most popular erectile dysfunction medications on the market. However, there are plenty of alternative treatments out there. It’s always good to have choices, and the good news is that you have plenty. What should you do if you have erectile dysfunction? Can herbal supplements help? Let’s look at the options.
What should men with erectile dysfunction do first? If you think you have erectile dysfunction, you should visit your doctor. A professional can help you identify the cause of your erection problems and recommend the most promising treatment. Erectile dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological factors. There are dozens of possible underlying medical conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. Psychological challenges such as anxiety, depression, and stress can lead to erection problems.
Certain lifestyle choices can also contribute to erectile dysfunction, including alcohol consumption, drug abuse, poor diet, lack of exercise, and smoking. If you can find the underlying cause for your erectile dysfunction, it will be easier for you to resolve the problem. A physical examination is the first step in the process.
How do prescription erectile dysfunction medications work?
Currently, there are five FDA-approved oral medications used to treat erectile dysfunction: Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Staxyn, and Stendra. All five medications work by increasing blood flow to the penis. These drugs only work if you’re sexually stimulated. Arousal triggers the release of nitric oxide, which relaxes the muscles in the penis. Erectile dysfunction medications enhance the effect of nitric oxide.
Can herbal supplements treat erectile dysfunction?
Researchers have studied several herbal supplements for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. The following list includes some of the most popular herbal supplements on the market.
• Asian ginseng. This supplement has been shown to help men with physical or psychological erectile dysfunction.
• Carnitine. For men with erectile dysfunction, studies have shown that this amino acid is more effective than testosterone.
• Ginko biloba. This natural herb improves blood flow and circulation, which can help facilitate an erection.
• Horny goat weed. Studies have shown that this supplement is similar to erectile dysfunction medications.
• Maca. This supplement was used by the ancient Incans to increase sexual desire and boost sexual function.
• Muira puama. The leaves and roots of this plant have been shown to improve circulation and increase blood flow to the penis.
• Tongkat ali. This herbal supplement can boost your testosterone levels and increase your sexual desire.
• Tribulus terrestris. The Chinese used this herb as a remedy for erectile dysfunction. Animal studies have also shown that it increases sexual behavior and boosts testosterone levels. Human studies have also shown positive results.
What about testosterone for erectile dysfunction?
Some doctors recommend testosterone replacement therapy for men with erectile dysfunction. However, it’s important to realize that most men with erectile dysfunction don’t have low testosterone. If you’re concerned, you can ask your doctor to check your hormone levels.