6 Ways Good Sex is Great for Your HealthWhat if the secret to better health was simply having a better sex life? Research indicates that people who have an active, healthy sex life are in fact healthier human beings- and gender is not even a factor.
According to the latest studies, the more sex you have, the healthier you may be, the better your overall mood, and less stress you will hold on to. But more important are the very tangible ways a healthy sex life appears to slow down how fast your body ages, increases resistance to disease and can even increase the body’s ability to heal.
Here are the top ways that sex can improve your health, according to the latest research:
- It can keep your heart healthy: According to a recent study in the American Journal of Cardiology, male test subjects who have sex twice a week statistically have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) than men who have less frequent sex. The finding remained valid even after researchers adjusted the figures to include issues with erectile dysfunction. The research, conducted by epidemiologists at the New England Research Institutes, analyzed the health records of 1,165 men who were monitored for 16 years as part of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. The results proved that men who had sexual activity once a month or less were at 50 percent greater risk of cardiovascular disease than the men who had sex more than once a week.
According to Susan Hall, Ph.D. Hall, a number of possible factors could have contributed to the study’s finding: The psychical capacity to have sex might be a marker for overall health, or the physical exercise from sex might directly protect against CVD. Or it might be that men who have regular sex enjoy improved health through stress reduction from a supportive relationship.
“Our research found that a low frequency of sexual activity predicted new cardiovascular events,” Hall stated.
- It supports a healthy immune system: According to research, healthy sex keeps your immune system up and running. Researchers from Wilkes University in Pennsylvania determined that college students who reported that they had sex once or twice per week typically had higher levels of a certain antibody that fights illness, compared to students who had sex less frequently. Essentially, sex was found to produce higher levels of what defends your body against germs, viruses, and other intruders. Yvonne K. Fulbright, PhD a sexual health expert states, “Sexually active people take fewer sick days.” Of course, other factors help keep us from catching a cold or flu, like frequent hand washing, eating healthy, restful sleep, etc. … but it appears you can add a healthy sex life to the list.
- It burns calories: While an orgasm only burns up two or three calories, an active romp for 20 minutes can burn around 150 calories. Though this will not have a large impact on weight loss, it does burn more than double what you would just sitting on the couch for 20 minutes.
- Sex eases stress: According to research conducted by the University of the West of Scotland, a healthy sex life, much like getting regular exercise, helps ease anxiety, lowers stress hormones, and can actually help people deal with mental pressure for at least a week. The study looked at 46 men and women as they were put into a stressful situation involving speaking and working math problems in front of a tough audience. The test subjects were also asked to keep a journal regarding any sexual activity they had during the two weeks prior to being involved in the test. The study found that those who had sex prior to the week of mental pressured activities were the least stressed out, and their blood pressures returned to normal faster after the public speaking portion of the test was completed.
“People who had penile-vaginal intercourse did twice as well as people who only masturbated or had no sex at all,” says psychologist and lead researcher Stuart Brody.
- It increases your libido: When you have something that is pleasurable, the body wants more. According to Lauren Streicher, MD, assistant clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. Having sex will make sex better and will improve your libido and for females, having sex increases vaginal moisture, improves blood flow, and skin elasticity. A strong pelvic floor is important for avoiding incontinence, a condition that impacts about 30% of women, particularly after childbearing and as they get older, Streicher says, all of the healthy benefits of sex supports the urge for having even more sex.
- It keeps you looking younger: David Weeks, MD, a British neuropsychologist at Royal Edinburgh Hospital, contends that sex can ease the appearance of wrinkle or even prevent them. Over the course of 10 years, he conducted a study where he interviewed 3,500 adults in England and the United States, and discovered that those who were having sex four times a week looked approximately 10 years younger than their chronological age. The theory behind his findings is that pleasure from sex releases hormones, including human growth hormone, which is crucial in preserving young looking skin, according to Weeks.
But, what if you suffer from conditions that make sexual activity a challenge? Perhaps you are ready, willing, but not able? Male impotence is actually a very common problem, affecting at least one-third of men at some point during their lifetime. One solution is to speak to your doctor and discuss your treatment options that would allow for a healthy sex life, and therefore, improved overall health.
Since 1998, Viagra (sildenafil), approved by the FDA, has been prescribed to successfully treat men who suffer from erectile dysfunction, and you doctor could determine if it is right for you.
Why Does Erectile Dysfunction Occur?
An erection depends on strong blood flow to the penis, and this is why it often can be a symptom of something more, sometimes a heart condition. This why if you are experiencing erectile dysfunction (ED), it is wise to see your doctor to not only address it, but any other condition that may be associated with ED.
As a PDE5 inhibitor, Viagra relaxes the muscles in the penis, allowing the vessels to dilate and fill with blood. The result is improved blood flow that facilitates an erection once you become sexually aroused. Viagra has been shown to work well for most men, regardless of age, even if you have had male impotence for several years.How Viagra Works
Clinical trials show that Viagra is effective for up to 80 percent of men and its safety and effectiveness have been well documented over the last 18 years. And it is affordable, since it is a proven treatment for male impotence and most health insurance plans will cover your prescription costs.
Viagra is a very safe and simple to use oral medication. Essentially you should take Viagra approximately 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity. The effects of the drug can last for up to 4 hours. Some men even find that they can get more than one erection per dose.
The typical dosages for Viagra are 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg doses. Usually the doctor sets the initial dose at 50 mg, and then decides, based on follow-up consultations, if more is needed.
The side effects of Viagra are generally mild and most men report that they disappeared completely as they continued to use the drug. The most common side effects of the drug are back and muscle pain, dizziness, flushing, headache, indigestion, nausea, rash, and runny or stuffy nose.
How Do I Get Viagra?
As with any other prescription, you could get it filled at your local pharmacy. Some people prefer to order it online, but they need to be certain it is done through a legitimate online pharmacy. There are actually many illegitimate pharmacies online that sell counterfeit Viagra and they lure customers in by offering very low prices.
Often, these pharmacies advertise their counterfeit pills as “generic” Viagra. These counterfeit pills are often manufactured in foreign countries with lax quality standards. Therefore, these pills can be ineffective or even dangerous to your health.
Seek to find an online store that values your privacy and makes every effort to keep your medical information safe and secure, but you should also make certain you are getting real Viagra.
Look for a highly-trusted, FDA-licensed, online store like eDrugstore.com. There you will only find brand name Viagra, manufactured in the United States by Pfizer, Inc. Since 1998, eDrugstore.com has helped more than 500,000 customers gain access to prescription medications, including those for male impotence, while offering first-class customer service and support.