- Men tend to lose weight faster than women.
- Men are more likely to maintain weight loss when they adopt healthy and sustainable lifestyle habits.
- Find support for safe and effective weight loss methods, like Plenity, with eDrugstore.
Do men lose weight faster than women? The short answer is yes. However, losing weight quickly doesn’t necessarily mean keeping it off for good.
Research Shows That Men Lose Weight Faster Than Women
Many women report losing weight at a slower rate than their male partners. This isn’t just an anecdote. Researchers have gathered enough evidence to show that men do lose weight faster than women.
One of the strongest pieces of evidence to support this claim comes from a study published in Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism. Researchers examined the impact of an 8-week fixed low-energy diet on over 2,200 adults living with prediabetes.
Key findings included:
- Men lost the most weight. Men lost 16 percent more weight than women during the study.
- The LED led to health improvements. The 8-week low-energy diet led to significant improvements in blood pressure, weight, and metabolic profile in both men and women.
- Men lowered their risk for diabetes. Men ended the study with a lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, and lower diabetes risk than women.
- Men had healthier fat loss. Men lost more visceral fat, while women lost more subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat loss helps to improve your metabolism. Subcutaneous fat loss doesn’t greatly impact your metabolism.
This study can only shed light on short-term weight loss and related health indicators. Additional research shows that the rate of weight loss tends to level out between men and women during long-term studies and follow-up.
Why Do Men Lose Weight Faster Than Women?
Men and women differ in muscle mass, body composition, and hormones that affect weight. For example, research has discovered significant differences between men and women in regard to adipose tissue and metabolism. These differences help to explain why men tend to lose weight faster than women.
Key differences impacting weight loss in men and women include:
- Body composition. Premenopausal women tend to gain weight around the hips, while men tend to gain weight around the abdomen. This makes weight loss more noticeable in men.
- Muscle mass. On average, men have more lean muscle and less body fat than women. Men also build muscle mass faster than women. This is due to higher levels of testosterone. Having more muscle contributes to a higher metabolism, which means you’re likely to burn (and need) more calories each day.
- Cultural differences. There are several cultural differences in how dieting, weight loss programs, and weightlifting routines influence how men and women approach and maintain weight loss.
Is Rapid Weight Loss Healthy?
Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce your risk of chronic health conditions, such as diabetes or cardiovascular disease. People who are overweight or obese can see significant health improvements by losing as little as 5 to 10 percent of their total body weight.
You’re more likely to reach and maintain a healthy weight by adopting healthy lifestyle changes that lead to gradual and sustained weight loss.
Risks of Rapid Weight Loss
Losing weight too quickly can lead to long-term weight gain and cause adverse health effects. Rapid weight loss is typically associated with extreme diet and exercise routines. These intense and restrictive weight loss interventions are unlikely to be sustainable.
Rapid weight loss can impact your:
- Metabolism. When you lose weight quickly from extreme calorie restriction, your metabolism will slow to prevent you from starving. This makes it more likely for you to gain weight once you resume your normal diet.
- Muscle mass. Extreme calorie restriction can cause you to lose fat and muscle mass. Reducing your muscle mass will negatively affect your metabolism.
- Nutritional health. Adopting a restrictive diet without the guidance of a nutritional expert can lead to severe consequences. If you stop eating entire food groups, such as carbohydrates, dairy, or fruit, then you risk nutritional deficits. This can also lead to digestive issues, fatigue, reduced bone density, and hair loss.
- Long-term weight goals. People who lose weight quickly are more likely to put the weight back on. Research shows that people who fall into patterns of rapid weight loss and weight gain, also called yo-yo dieting, are unlikely to maintain weight loss long term.
Healthy Weight Loss
Losing weight and keeping it off can be challenging for both men and women alike. You’re more likely to have success by adopting healthy lifestyle changes over time. Losing 1 to 2 pounds per week is a healthier way to approach weight loss.
Successful strategies for healthy weight loss include:
- Set realistic goals. Go beyond the goal to simply lose weight. Assess where you are at on your weight loss journey to help you determine what will be realistic for you. Then set specific and measurable goals. For example, you may decide to start with the goal to exercise for 30 minutes, three days per week.
- Adopt a balanced diet. Calorie intake is important, but the quality of your meals is also important to your health. You can reduce your calories without eliminating entire food groups or indulgences. By allowing yourself to eat flavorful and satisfying meals, you’re less likely to fall into a cycle of restricting and binging.
- Begin strength training. By gradually losing weight and building muscle mass, you can decrease your fat stores. You can also improve your metabolism, which helps you to burn more calories while you’re at rest.
- Seek resources and support. Finding support through your social circle, weight loss programs, exercise communities, or professional services can help you to reach your goals and stay on track long term. For example, you may benefit from working with a nutrition specialist, such as a dietitian or nutritionist. You may also benefit from using natural weight loss products that make it easier to manage your diet.
Plenity Weight Loss Device
Reaching weight loss goals takes time and commitment. Fortunately, there are safe and effective weight loss aids available to help you take the next steps.
The Plenity weight loss device is cleared by the Food and Drug Administration to help overweight and obese adults lose weight. The oral capsule is made from two natural ingredients, cellulose and citric acid. It works directly in the gastrointestinal tract to help you feel full.
Plenity doesn’t require a restrictive or intense diet, but it works best when used alongside a healthy diet and exercise routine. Talk to a provider to see if this simple and effective weight loss aid is right for you.
Find Support with eDrugstore
eDrugstore makes it easy for you to talk to healthcare professionals about a variety of topics, such as weight loss, erectile dysfunction, and sexual health. Take advantage of our free online consultation to order medications online or by calling 1-800-467-5146. Virtual health visits and shipping are always free.
Shelby is a public health professional with research and field experience in sexual and reproductive health. She holds a Master of Public Health (MPH) and is a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES).